By Chirstopher Bible
Matthew Metzger and Nathan Metzger have accents so thick that a steak knife would struggle to cut through them. While the authenticity of their foreign grammar is so fascinating it could grasp the attention of a small toddler, it comes as no surprise to anyone who encounters them that the two men are brothers.
Matthew’s brown shaggy hair and athletic body opposes Nathan’s tall lean body and short blonde hair atop his head. From afar, the two don’t look as if they are related, but when standing close to them, the men’s faces are nearly identical.
Matthew and Nathan hail from the small prideful nation of New Zealand, where they both spent 18 years of their lives before arriving in the United States.
Nathan most recently arrived January 2015 as a freshman. Matthew arrived early last year and currently has the credits of a junior. Both brothers are multi-sport athletes, playing tennis and soccer at the collegiate level. Assistant men’s soccer coach, Shane McKay, can relate to the brothers, as he came from England and played college soccer at Truett McConnell and Georgia Southwestern.
McKay said, “The transition is quite hard, but it’s totally worth it in the end and provides amazing opportunities.”
The Metzger brothers bring a very important aspect to Piedmont College-cultural diversity. When you walk through the quad at Piedmont or pass through the dormitories, it’s immediately noticeable that the school isn’t the most diverse out there. The Metzger brothers have unintentionally helped Piedmont become more culturally diverse.
Other Students on campus refer to Matthew and Nathan as “Kiwi” or “Kangaroo.” The unique nicknames isolate the brothers and grasp student’s attention all over campus. The nickname “Kangaroo” comes as a joke because there are actually no kangaroos in New Zealand.
Matthew said, “It’s a bit funny but also annoying at the same time. I’ve gotten used to it and find it funnier than I used to.”
The cultural diversity the brothers provide is very important to a small private school like Piedmont. The majority of students at Piedmont are traditionally American Caucasian females. According to U.S. News and World Report, females dominate 65 percent of Piedmont College, while males make up the other 35 percent.
The brothers support the minority of males and more importantly support a stat that is unrecorded, foreign students. Freshman soccer player, Bruce Kitchen, who hails from England said: “I have friends from back home who would’ve never heard of Piedmont College if it weren’t for me. I think it’s important for the school’s image to have international athletes and students like myself and the Metzgers.”
Matthew, Nathan and Bruce provide the campus with foreign students and not only give Piedmont College national recognition but, more importantly, international recognition.